Re: GNOME now

Brian Cameron <brian cameron oracle com> wrote:
> For better or worse, I would say that most Solaris GNOME users probably
> fall either in the advanced UNIX-hacker category, or the type of user
> who uses a Solaris GNOME desktop in a very focused or controlled
> environment such as a kiosk or call center environment.  So, the
> desktop on Solaris seems to be increasingly diverging from the needs of
> the GNOME community.  But I think the GNOME community has been
> conscious that platforms like Solaris were being left behind as
> decisions were being made.

That really depends on how you define the needs of the "advanced
UNIX-hacker category". GNOME 3 may have differences from traditional
desktop environments of the past (it also has a lot of similarities
too), but it is definitely intended to be an effective environment for
developers or system administrators.

(I'm speaking from a UX design point of view here, obviously.)

Allan