Re: GNOME now

Seif:

On 11/15/12 03:31 AM, Seif Lotfy wrote:
Good points Brian :)
I like the last part "this advanced UNIX-hacker type does not seem to
be the primary user GNOME is focusing on anymore."

For better or worse, I would say that most Solaris GNOME users probably
fall either in the advanced UNIX-hacker category, or the type of user
who uses a Solaris GNOME desktop in a very focused or controlled
environment such as a kiosk or call center environment.  So, the
desktop on Solaris seems to be increasingly diverging from the needs of
the GNOME community.  But I think the GNOME community has been
conscious that platforms like Solaris were being left behind as
decisions were being made.

May I ask you however to try to reply to each question with one
sentence if possible so I can create a small overview able chart

I have difficulty answering Stormy's 3 questions because I do my GNOME
work on Solaris, and Solaris desktop products are not well served by
the new OpenGL and Linux-focused directions that the GNOME product is
taking.  I had been struggling to keep GNOME 3 working on Solaris, but
that work fell to the wayside as it became clear that Fallback mode is
going away.  I imagine that you are probably looking for answers from
people more engaged with current development, and not people like me.
If I were try to answer the questions, I guess I would say:

1. Where's the product going?
   In directions that make it less and less useful on Solaris.
2. What problem are we trying to solve?
   The future of the Solaris desktop.
3. How are we going to do that?
   Not sure.  Hopefully this will become more clear over time.  For
   example, maybe Solaris desktop products will support OpenGL at some
   point in the future.  Collaboration could become easier at that time.

---

Brian