Re: A question for the candidates

hi Allan; thanks for the question.

On 25 May 2012 08:21, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
> Sometimes it can feel like the Board of Directors is a bit divorced
> from the rest of the GNOME project. Is this a problem, in your view?
> If it is, what do you think can be done about it?

I think that, given the role covered by the Board (and by the
Foundation itself), some detachment ought to be expected.

what needs to improve, and I put myself down to being one that has to
improve his own role, is better feedback to questions coming from the
community.

in the past year, the Board tried to be very proactive: Karen sent her
agenda and reports on Planet GNOME, we held IRC meetings, and we are
always listening on board gnome org.

we had mixed results with those, sadly. the lack of stable minutes
publishing can be a contributing factor, but that explains lack of
feedback up to a certain point; even without minutes, the IRC meetings
have been pretty sparse in attendance, and few points have been
brought up for the IRC specific agenda.

I guess it's a case of a negative feedback loop: we give out fewer
talking points, the community participates less, we get less feedback
so we have less to give back, and so on, and so forth.

interrupting the cycle may just be a matter of increasing throughput
from the Board, and trying to get more people involved. I can only say
that, as far as I'm concerned, I can try and keep up with minutes
publishing (and I assume that people will pester me more to keep my in
line :-)). other than that, do other people have ideas on how to
increase the feedback from the community at large?

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name