Re: A question for the candidates

Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
>> Sometimes it can feel like the Board of Directors is a bit divorced
>> from the rest of the GNOME project.
>
> I don't quite understand the question. The Board is not where technical
> decisions are made, it's not where applications or new dependencies are
> made.

Yet it is still a governance body, and it is the only democratic one
within GNOME. Only the Board can actually claim to represent the GNOME
community.

> What were your expectations of the Board doing, and that they don't
> deliver on?

My question was not guided by personal expectations. I'm interested in
how the Board can enhance our community.

> Why do you think the Board of Directors is "divorced" from
> the project?

I personally don't hear or see very much of what the board gets up to,
and I don't feel like Foundation membership provides me with much in
the way of additional influence. As a member of the board, you might
be in a position to change that.

If membership of the GNOME Foundation starts and ends with an annual
vote, then it doesn't mean very much. If it is synonymous with
membership of our community, and if it enables me to have a
relationship with GNOME that I couldn't otherwise have, then it means
a great deal. Is that something you care about?

Allan