Re: European bank account for donations

On 03/10/2012 03:41 PM, Frederic Crozat wrote:

<mailto:brian cameron oracle com>> wrote:

 > > Are any of GNOME's 3 sister organizations that have bank accounts in
 > > Europe a tax free charity currently?
 >
 > About French associations tax law, in a nutshell:
 >
 > GNOME-FR is a non-profit organization, so called "association loi
 > 1901". As a non-profit organization, it is tax free. I am not sure
 > what you mean by "charity" and how it translates into French fiscal
 > system.

Charity is mean in the sense donations are deductible from your own tax.
GNOME-fr is not a charity in that sense, it would need to become a
"association reconnue d'utilité publique", which is a lot of paper work
and budget .
--
Frédéric Crozat

Couldn't you guys hold the fund for a while and then do a 'group' wire transfer to the GNOME Foundation: at least that would lessen the individual donation cost by quite a lot.

Another way would be to keep those funds to be spent on GNOME Foundation expenses during GUADEC for example (or some GNOME Foundation sponsored hackfests in Europe).

Does this make sense?

Fred