Re: European bank account for donations

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 22:36, Brian Cameron <brian cameron oracle com> wrote:

> Are any of GNOME's 3 sister organizations that have bank accounts in
> Europe a tax free charity currently?

About French associations tax law, in a nutshell:

GNOME-FR is a non-profit organization, so called "association loi
1901". As a non-profit organization, it is tax free. I am not sure
what you mean by "charity" and how it translates into French fiscal
system.

There are some situations where "associations loi 1901 " would have to
pay taxes, like when competing against commercial organizations, or
working exclusively for commercial organizations, etc. basically when
the non-profit aspect becomes questionable. This is not the case of
GNOME-FR today.

If the organization is of general interest, there is a possibility for
people paying taxes in France to deduct from their own taxes a portion
of their donations. I don't know if GNOME-FR made the request. I think
it would qualify. To be confirmed.

About the rules to transfer money to or from a US organization (the
GNOME foundation), I don't know. I asked to one of my brothers.