Re: Introducing myself

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 4:42 PM, James <purpleidea gmail com> wrote:
On Sun, 2012-12-23 at 15:43 -0800, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> Hi James!
>
> Welcome!  Glad you applied! That's really great that you're deploy
> GNOME to users,
Thank you!

> it would be great to hear feedback from your users on what they think
> of GNOME and what gaps there might be.
I have a good amount of mental notes, but you're right that it would be
a good idea to write this down somewhere. I'll try to do this in the
future.

> I actually thought about an a gnome-integration mailing list.  (I
> actually already created it) as a way for other sysadmins to discuss
> how best to integrate GNOME into a corporate or school environment.
> Knowing the issues and helping to resolve them would be a great
> community action I think.
This is a good idea! I hope to release a bunch of code in the coming
months. After this is out there, maybe I can take more time to look into
this.

I've encountered a lot of broken/old GNOME deployments. I have a number
of puppet scripts and infrastructure (that I'm working on) that aim to
provide an easy/sane deployment process to help avoid bad installs. Many
users are still using ~2.18 era GNOME because of overly busy sysadmins.
I can help make this easier.

There is a GNOME sysadmin guide, but I don't think it goes to the full extent.  There are a lot of things in a large deployment we would want.   For instance, a method to push applications automatically to desktops, that kind of thing.  Understanding how dbus, packagekit, and gconf/dconf works is a must in doing a full scale deployment to a large number of users.

So, if people are interested in solving this problem then please subscribe here:

And let's talk about how to do a quality large scale deployment for GNOME 3 and maybe GNOME 2.

sri