Re: Fwd: Question for the canditates

On 05/26/2011 01:49 AM, Andrea Veri wrote:
I'd like to ask two questions of all the candidates please:

1) As GNOME has matured the number of officially supported language
bindings has decreased. The quality and availability of various
language communities own bindings has varied wildly to say the least.
How would you work to improve this situation?

2) What are your own feelings on supporting fairly new languages and
standards like Go and Perl 6?

Like other candidates and as previously stated in my answer to Frederic Peters I don't think the foundation role is to dictate technical choices, but to assist those willing to contribute to GNOME in their contributions, as long as it is inline with the direction of the project or as a R&D activity within GNOME.

In fact how would you see the foundation pushing for those? Having the board directors write the code themselves? Force someone from company X to do it? Pay a consultant to write "some code"?

Pushing for language support that no body is interested in (or has started to work on) would be an artificial push if no one join the effort. However, if there is a demand and someone interested in working on it the board should definitely help to encourage more contributors to get involved and support the project.

I hope i have answered your questions.

Thanks.

Pockey

Thank you all for considering my questions. Cheers, -Ali