Re: [question to candidates] GNOME OS

On 05/25/2011 02:24 PM, Frederic Peters wrote:
Hello all,

GNOME OS has been mentioned and questioned repeatedly in recent
discussions on desktop-devel-list, about its definition itself[1],
and the changing (or not?) role of the GNOME project with regards
to distributions (based or not on the Linux kernel).

What are your thougths on this?[2] Do you think this is a foundation
job to answer those questions? If not, is this a responsibility of the
release team? Or something that is best left unanswered, as pieces are
put into positions by different persons?

My contributions being mainly in the promotion and marketing areas (as I am a non-technical contributor) I have difficulties to fully understand what GNOME OS exactly means. It surely is a great marketing term but does it mean we become a GNOME/Linux distribution or does it mean we tightly integrate with a specific kernel where functionalities provided merge deeply with that kernel? Or does it mean something else?

I tend to care more about the visible parts of GNOME and how accessible we make our desktop to all kinds of people, leaving the technical bits to the experts.

Now, to answer the second question I believe the foundation is here to represent its members and assist them in their endeavors whichever those are (to some extend and within the GNOME project). I find it very unrealistic for the foundation to dictate technical decisions if the foundation doesn't have manpower to implement them. The community (each and everyone voicing their opinion) should come up with an idea of what GNOME OS is and the foundation should make it understandable to our users and people outside of the project, promote it and support that idea.

Thank you.

Pockey

Thanks,

         Fred

[1] http://live.gnome.org/GnomeOS doesn't help, the only laid out
     plan I know was in Jon McCann "Shell Yes!" talk at GUADEC (now
     locked on slideshare.net)

[2] this question comes first but in terms of candidacies to the
     board, I believe the next ones are even more important.