Re: desktopsummit registration forces gnome users to have a kde identity

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 3:53 AM, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 04:47:28PM +0800, Frederic Muller wrote:
>> What a nice answer... The problem is not about growing up but about
>> preserving the GNOME identity.
>
> What is the problem exactly? I'd feel weird registering at an KDE site,
> because I'd only register for Desktop Summit (which I view as a
> different organization than KDE or GNOME, even if it consists of people
> from both). I have 0 interest in my details being used for anything
> else. Additionally, I don't want my details to be stored in some site
> I'll never visit.
>
> If the identify.kde.org could have:
>  * another 'frontend' with a desktopsummit.org layout (a theme
>  * call it identity.desktopsummit.org (serveralias + theme only)

Due to the way the application is built, a entirely seperate copy of
the application would have to be set up, and it would administer the
same data.

>  * guarantee that my details are only used for Desktop Summit (e.g.
>   hidden field which stores this only for identity.desktopsummit.org so
>   details can be deleted afterwards)
>  * some kind of privacy policy explanation + guarantee (from KDE towards
>   Desktop Summit -- I mean this in a legal sense, no problems trusting
>   KDE... but you could theoretically have legal issues. Usually you
>   cannot just share privacy related information with another
>   organisation)

The privacy policy for KDE Identity is summarised as such here -
http://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/IdentityFAQ
In terms of user data, it is never shared with outside organisations.
The only time information is shared outside of Identity itself is when
you login to applications such as desktopsummit.org, then your name,
username and email address are provided.

Implementing such a checkbox for further privacy is not feasible (due
to the fact that accounts can never be deleted and your details will
never be shared assuming you never login anywhere again)