Re: desktopsummit registration forces gnome users to have a kde identity

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 07:57:53AM +1300, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Due to the way the application is built, a entirely seperate copy of
> the application would have to be set up, and it would administer the
> same data.

Ok, seems too much effort.

> >  * guarantee that my details are only used for Desktop Summit (e.g.
> >   hidden field which stores this only for identity.desktopsummit.org so
> >   details can be deleted afterwards)
> >  * some kind of privacy policy explanation + guarantee (from KDE towards
> >   Desktop Summit -- I mean this in a legal sense, no problems trusting
> >   KDE... but you could theoretically have legal issues. Usually you
> >   cannot just share privacy related information with another
> >   organisation)
>
> The privacy policy for KDE Identity is summarised as such here -
> http://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/IdentityFAQ
> In terms of user data, it is never shared with outside organisations.
> The only time information is shared outside of Identity itself is when
> you login to applications such as desktopsummit.org, then your name,
> username and email address are provided.
>
> Implementing such a checkbox for further privacy is not feasible (due
> to the fact that accounts can never be deleted and your details will
> never be shared assuming you never login anywhere again)

I somewhat dislike always having a lingering account @ KDE that I never
use, check or do anything with

Could you add the privacy link on identity.kde.org? I'm sure everyone at
KDE knows what it does and what it is for. But for me, it feels weird
(as in: assume it would be an error to go from desktopsummit.org site to
a KDE site).

If I read
http://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/IdentityFAQ

I see something about ' breaking this when used in your password. You're
escaping everything going to SQL/LDAP I assume? Gets me a bit paranoid.

On the privacy policy, it mentions under 'You are a user':
  Full name (incl.titles): d
  Email address d
  Username d

Where 'd' stands for:
  'You will see this info from developers'.

I don't really understand this, as there is another 'You are a
developer' option. So if I am a GNOME person, I'll fall under 'user'.
But why have a user section and mention that full name/email address and
username is shared if you're a developer? Doesn't seem logical
especially as you mention that details wont be shared:)

--
Regards,
Olav