Re: Question for candidates

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 01:09, Richard Stallman <rms gnu org> wrote:
>    On the practical terms, as others stated, we should make sure that
>    GNOME is great software and has cool features that make people /want/
>    to use it.
>
> It's fine to do that, as much as we can.  But if we only do that, we
> are competing with Apple on its home territory.  We have no inherent
> advantage in this; Apple is has contempt for its users, but we can
> hardly claim its developers lack ability.
>
> The one area where we have an inherent advantage is in treating the
> users ethically.

What about translations, accessibility and other needs of minorities?
For big companies it's *impossible* to support those needs but for
community-developed software that's just what we do. And free software
is what enables communities to get together and do the software they
need.

I think it would be sad to focus just on the ethical argument when we
have so much practical potential that can help us engage first-time
users.

Regards,

Tomeu