Re: GNOME Foundation budget (Oct 2010-June 2011)

Hi Fred,

Is your question, do we have enough money in the bank? If so, the answer is yes. :)

We always keep a reserve, a nonprofit best practice. We also try to spend what we bring in each year towards supporting our mission and goals. So as Germán says, the "overspend" is money that was already budgeted for those things from money we raised last year.

Best,

Stormy

2011/7/28 Germán Póo-Caamaño <gpoo gnome org>
On Thu, 2011-07-28 at 23:09 +0800, Frederic Muller wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thank you for the detailed updated report. I see a lot a red but can't
> find the balance from 2010. Is the situation very worrying (-$107K or
> -$105K end of September) or do we have a lot of cash?

Hi Fred,

The original plan (Proposed budget) includes some expenditures we did
not do last year and that were moved to this fiscal year.  For instance,
$50,000 on Mobile, ~$30,000 on Women's Outreach Program, ~$10,000 on
Marketing, ~$5,000 on a11y.  So, that explains the plan for the current
year to be "negative" (that you can see on the sheets 'Budget' and 'Real
+Proj').  You can compare it against the final budget for the last year
http://foundation.gnome.org/finance/gnome-foundation-budget-2010-final.ods

On the other hand, there are some red figures in the 'Waterfall' sheet.
In the case of 'Expenses' a red number means we have spent more planed
until June. In the case of 'Income', a red number means we have received
less than expected until June.

The 'Real+Proj' sheet shows what we have spent and what we expect for
the following months per item.  That said, we need to work on Friends of
GNOME.

--
Germán Póo-Caamaño
http://people.gnome.org/~gpoo/