Re: Reboot: Strategic goals for GNOME

On 3/5/10 10:18 AM, "Miguel de Icaza" <miguel novell com> wrote:

> I could help Richard and we could work together, but he has decided
> that I am a traitor of the movement.

Thanks for posting this, Miguel. It would seem to confirm that I'm not
incorrect in finding this baffling.

As someone who's reportedly been publicly described (at the last "Software
Freedom Day" in Boston) by Mr. Stallman as an "enemy of the free software
movement", I can at least feel as though I'm in good company here.

If I'm an enemy of anything, it's closed-ness, and insularity, and
rumor-mongering, and restraint of free expression. However, we seem to
prefer all of those here.

That being the case, it's not my intent to belabor this list further, only
because doing so is clearly a waste of time and electrons. This will
doubtless come as a vast relief to the multitudes who are subject to
motion-sickness due to boat-rocking, and gratify the numerous folks who have
asked me in private email whether I can't simply ignore these sorts of
things, "like everyone else does".

So, "have fun and make GNOME rock", whether by removing support for anything
particularly having to do with Facebook and the like, warning users if they
try to use such "harmful" sites, and by providing better command-line
integration with the GUI; or by simply "ignoring" such suggestions.

I'll attempt to restrain my enthusiasm from this point on; if the former set
of initiatives represent the directions we're taking, it shouldn't be very
difficult.

Me, I'm going back to getting storytlr working the way I want it to. It's a
heavily server- and web-based project, tying into many social media sites,
including Facebook, Flickr, YouTube and Twitter, and very arguably "promotes
the use" of such sites. Clearly not of any interest here.