Re: GNOME Speaker Guidelines

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 12:39 AM, Lefty (石鏡 ) <lefty shugendo org> wrote:
> On 6/25/10 8:30 AM, "Patryk Zawadzki" <patrys pld-linux org> wrote:
>>
>> I bet
>> at least one person in the audience is offended when they see the
>> presenter using a Mac. Or sporting a Windows t-shirt. Or using an
>> iPod. Or mentioning that Apple did something better than GNOME.
>> "Security, seize and escort the speaker out of the building." :)
>
> By the way: I would certainly recommend that anyone who's offended by a
> presenter using a Mac, wearing a Windows t-shirt, or both at the same time,
> to take their concerns directly and immediately to the Board of Directors.
>
> I would suggest that the Board of Directors tell them to "Get a grip."
>
> Is it _that_ difficult to distinguish between the sort of offense that
> someone like Celeste Lyn Paul, a KDE board member, expressed when she wrote
> ( http://identi.ca/notice/6304540)...
>
> "Do men really think RMSs virgin joke at #gcds was not sexist? Very
> disappointed in FLOSS comm chatter about this."

I'd say it was more stupid than sexist. He planned it to be a
religious joke but ended up with a pile of crap.

> ...on the one hand, and the "offense" that someone who feels a speaker is
> not being "pure" enough, or something, by using a "non-free-software-
> movement-approved" piece of hardware, or wearing a t-shirt bearing the logo
> of a "non-free-software-movement-approved" company, on the other? Do you see
> no distinction between the two, Patryk?

Are you trying to start a flame war, or are you just bored? Stop
trying to convince me that I'm defending bad behavior as I'm not.

I said the rules were too vague to be considered a policy. A person
hating Mono or C# is just as covered as a person who is a target of
racist comments. That's why the rules are bad.

I'd add that if GNOME as a community needs a written "don't be a total
jerk" policy, we should probably consider going to circus instead of
the conferences ;)

(rest of quotes removed to put out the flames)

--
Patryk Zawadzki