Re: GNOME Speaker Guidelines

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 2:06 AM, Fernando Herrera <fherrera onirica com> wrote:

> I also don't think the ending is appropriate: "These guidelines do not
> constitute censorship since you have many other forums and
> opportunities to say whatever you wish.". That is a pretty evil
> justification and probably Governments in Iran, Saudi Arabia or North
> Korean can use it.
>
> "If all printers were determined not to print anything till they were
> sure it would offend nobody, there would be very little printed."

I have had jobs where we were not allowed to print pornography at
work. But I was still totally free to print pornography at home. (At
least as far as the company was concerned.)

The company defined what was appropriate within their "forums". GNOME
can decide what's appropriate to discuss in GNOME forums whether it's
conferences or mailing lists. Topics that are off topic for GNOME (say
politics not related to free software) can be discussed in other
forums. I don't think that's censorship.

Stormy