Re: A few questions for the candidates

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 23:30 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I originally wanted to have some questions included in the list of
> questions sent by the membership committee, but I feel like waiting for
> Friday while the voting period is already opened is waiting a long time
> and I'm not being patient here :-)
>
> I apologize because some of those questions are most likely a bit easier
> to answer for people who are already on the board...
>
> 1) I've read with interest the mails from the candidates announcing
>    they're running, and most (if not all -- I didn't double-check)
>    include some motivations with examples of what they'd be interested
>    in working on.
>    Why are those tasks/ideas things you cannot work on while not being
>    on the board?

I think most of them can be done without being on the board. There are
some exceptions, such as working with the budget and/or pushing for
taking decisions when there is a delay.

> 2) What are your non-usual (ie, not code, not translations, not
>    documentation, etc.) contributions as a GNOME Foundation member?
>    (organizing events, pushing people to do things, finding sponsors,
>    etc. are all possible answers)

I have organized the GNOME Day in Chile, which is a mini-conference
inside of Encuentro Linux (conference I founded 11 years ago).  I have
done a lot of advocacy about GNOME and Free Software, mainly for the
Spanish spoken audience.

> 3) What is your opinion on the co-location of Akademy and GUADEC in
>    2011? And if you think it was not the best choice, will you still be
>    able to help it happen?

I am all for cooperation while keeping the identity of each project.
That said, I think there are things that should be improved and we can
do it given the experience we already had the last year.

FWIW, I disagree with the way it was chosen.

> 4) How much free time per week do you think you will be able to allocate
>    for the board? (I'm very well aware that this could be 0 for some
>    weeks, and 100% of your time for other weeks; I'm just asking in
>    general)

I have spent around 20 hours a week.  I expect to spend around more or
less the same hours a week or at least 8 hours in the worst case.  It
will depend on my spare time, I always do it in my spare time.

> 5) Are you okay giving up some of your current GNOME
>    responsabilities/activities to join the board? (give up a maintainer
>    hat, or hack less, or participate less in a specific team) Or do you
>    think it won't be necessary and why?
>    (I know it's a bit related to the previous question :-))

I am ok with it (which does not mean I do not miss the other ones).

> 6) Will you be interested in being treasurer, president or secretary if
>    elected? If yes, which role and why?

I would like to mentor a new treasure or being the treasure again. I
would like to see the information on this matter improved and I do think
we have given a step forward on this.

More than accounting, what it is important is being careful with details
and being motivated to spent the funds wisely.

> 7) What do you think of the current GNOME Foundation budget? Had you
>    read it at least once before reading this mail?
>    (it's okay if you didn't look at it before, btw)

FWIW, I wrote the last budget and basically I have it in my mind.  So,
this is not a question for me.

However, I think there are lot of space for improvement, i.e.
update/adjust the information monthly, improving the way we present the
information, etc.

Thanks to you question we have received a lot more of feedback about it
than never before :-)

> 8) What do you think our next fundraising campaign should be about?
>    (I'd love to not read 11 times the same answer, thanks :-))

I think the campaigns are getting better with the time (as we are
learning).

On the other hand, there are opportunities in public funds that can
indirectly help to GNOME.  We can encourage/help/support GNOME friendly
companies to succeed when they present bids related to desktop software.
When they succeed we can see more code in upstream, they can hire more
hackers, fund hackfests, sponsor our events, etc.  In the middle-term
some smaller companies could become part of the advisory board (if they
are not already members).

> 9) Will you be at GUADEC this year? (there's a board meeting and an
>    advisory board meeting there)

Hopefully I will be there.

> 10) Make or break question: what's your favorite french expression?

Ces't la vie.

--
Germán Póo-Caamaño
Concepción - Chile