Re: A few questions for the candidates

 On 06/01/2010 02:30 PM, Vincent Untz wrote:
Hi,

I originally wanted to have some questions included in the list of
questions sent by the membership committee, but I feel like waiting for
Friday while the voting period is already opened is waiting a long time
and I'm not being patient here :-)

I apologize because some of those questions are most likely a bit easier
to answer for people who are already on the board...

1) I've read with interest the mails from the candidates announcing
    they're running, and most (if not all -- I didn't double-check)
    include some motivations with examples of what they'd be interested
    in working on.
    Why are those tasks/ideas things you cannot work on while not being
    on the board?
When you asked me this previous years, I've ended up not running. However, as I want to focus on upstream and downstream relationship this year, talking with advisory board partners while on the board as part of that will be what I'll do.
2) What are your non-usual (ie, not code, not translations, not
    documentation, etc.) contributions as a GNOME Foundation member?
    (organizing events, pushing people to do things, finding sponsors,
    etc. are all possible answers)
I've helped organize release parties in the Gothenburg area for GNOME and Ubuntu in order to bring more excitement around those projects and connect local free software people. I've also been trying to push GNOME marketing stuff, and at other times, others have pushed me.
3) What is your opinion on the co-location of Akademy and GUADEC in
    2011? And if you think it was not the best choice, will you still be
    able to help it happen?
What I found it difficult with the GCDS conference was that even though they were co-localized, from my experience, interaction between the teams were not as common as it could have been. KDE people went to KDE talks, GNOME people went to GNOME talks... And people are lazy and hang out with their old buddies anyway. Do I still think it's worth another shot and are willing to help it happen? Sure, but we need to make sure to keep those social bits in mind.
4) How much free time per week do you think you will be able to allocate
    for the board? (I'm very well aware that this could be 0 for some
    weeks, and 100% of your time for other weeks; I'm just asking in
    general)
10 hours per week.
5) Are you okay giving up some of your current GNOME
    responsabilities/activities to join the board? (give up a maintainer
    hat, or hack less, or participate less in a specific team) Or do you
    think it won't be necessary and why?
    (I know it's a bit related to the previous question :-))
I would give up some of the GNOME website hacking if we got new, kickass contributors so I could lean back and just point in the air. ;)
6) Will you be interested in being treasurer, president or secretary if
    elected? If yes, which role and why?
For president, I don't have enough experience, and know others I would like to see fill that role.
Treasurer means I would need to keep good track of cash, so no.
Secretary, yes, if needed.
7) What do you think of the current GNOME Foundation budget? Had you
    read it at least once before reading this mail?
    (it's okay if you didn't look at it before, btw)
Being frank here. No, I did not read it before (it is slightly tricky to find).
8) What do you think our next fundraising campaign should be about?
    (I'd love to not read 11 times the same answer, thanks :-))
We need a sysadmin next year too, so I would say that. However, in the long run, it would probably be better to have enough breathing room to fund that through other means. Asking for help with funding for printed material (including t-shirts) for local events and events box is a good idea I think.
9) Will you be at GUADEC this year? (there's a board meeting and an
    advisory board meeting there)
Of course.
10) Make or break question: what's your favorite french expression?
Le français est la langue des dieux [1]

1. http://translate.google.com/#en|fr|French%20is%20the%20language%20of%20gods

- Andreas