Re: A few questions for the candidates

Vincent,

Those are very good questions. See my reply in lines.

2010/6/2 Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org>
Hi,

I originally wanted to have some questions included in the list of
questions sent by the membership committee, but I feel like waiting for
Friday while the voting period is already opened is waiting a long time
and I'm not being patient here :-)

I apologize because some of those questions are most likely a bit easier
to answer for people who are already on the board...

1) I've read with interest the mails from the candidates announcing
  they're running, and most (if not all -- I didn't double-check)
  include some motivations with examples of what they'd be interested
  in working on.
  Why are those tasks/ideas things you cannot work on while not being
  on the board?

 I will continue doing what I am doing now to contribute to GNOME, continue grow the GNOME in Asian countries and local Beijing GNOME Users Group, even I am not in the board.

Join the board means more responsibility and higher view of how to run the GNOME Foundation. Spread the latest news to my areas as well as provide feedback to board at the first time.

2) What are your non-usual (ie, not code, not translations, not
  documentation, etc.) contributions as a GNOME Foundation member?
  (organizing events, pushing people to do things, finding sponsors,
  etc. are all possible answers)

- Bring the GNOME to Asia. Start to build GNOME.Asia Summit, from Beijing to HoChiMinh, this year go to Taiwan.

- Build local GNOME community, like Beijing GNOME Users Group.

- Encourage students to work on GNOME projects under Gsoc

- Find sponsors for GNOME.Asia

3) What is your opinion on the co-location of Akademy and GUADEC in
  2011? And if you think it was not the best choice, will you still be
  able to help it happen?

From the event organizing perspective, that's good to share the sponsors and cost, get all the people with the same interests together.
Form the project and platform's perspective,  that's helpful for both KDE and GNOME's future road map.

4) How much free time per week do you think you will be able to allocate
  for the board? (I'm very well aware that this could be 0 for some
  weeks, and 100% of your time for other weeks; I'm just asking in
  general)

I can work 20% of the working hour with my manager's support. Also, I can use my spare time if needed.

Currently, I work 10 hours on GNOME.Asia and Beijing GNOME Users Group each week.  I can expect that I will spend more time if was able to join the board.

5) Are you okay giving up some of your current GNOME
  responsabilities/activities to join the board? (give up a maintainer
  hat, or hack less, or participate less in a specific team) Or do you
  think it won't be necessary and why?
  (I know it's a bit related to the previous question :-))

 I don't know if I will give up some responsibilities, but I am sure I will give up some of my spare time.

6) Will you be interested in being treasurer, president or secretary if
  elected? If yes, which role and why?

I am OK with any role which is needed.

7) What do you think of the current GNOME Foundation budget? Had you
  read it at least once before reading this mail?
  (it's okay if you didn't look at it before, btw)

Yes,  I read it several times. I think It is very transparent and well documented. I like the way to run the Foundation.

8) What do you think our next fundraising campaign should be about?
  (I'd love to not read 11 times the same answer, thanks :-))

I am thinking about "GNOME store". I am planning to bring GNOME store in Asian countries. We can start from China, put GNOME store on line and on the third party online shopping website like Taobao, ebay etc.

I am currently still thinking about the detail of implement this idea.

9) Will you be at GUADEC this year? (there's a board meeting and an
  advisory board meeting there)

Yes, I plan to go GUADEC.  Plus I have submit a talk in GUADEC.

10) Make or break question: what's your favorite french _expression_?

 Ha, I need Google translate's help to answer this question:
Bonjour

Thanks,
Emily

Thanks,