Re: Some notes on GNOME Shell

Hi!

> I think that from the outside is easy to misjudge things. Is anybody
> reading this thread that has *both* gotten involved in GNOME Shell
> development and also feels that the project is being unfairly driven
> by a single company?

I haven't contributed anything to GnomeShell (yet...) besides an
unaccepted patch. Anyway I don't feel that the project is very company
driven though some things could possibly be improved.

The main issue I see is that there is a mailing list where lots of
discussion of interested people happens but the developers and designers
hardly comment on any of the ideas. The also results in ideas coming up
again and again without a final judgment by the design team. Sure there is
also lots of crap on the gnome-shell-list but I think people from outside
would at least have a better feeling when their ideas seem to be noticed
and discussed by the devs/designers. The answer "discuss this with the
design team on IRC" might be a bit discouraging for some people.

Other than that, people are generally very helpful on IRC so I don't think
there is a general bad attitude against new contributors.

Regards,
Johannes