Re: Some notes on GNOME Shell

Le jeudi 03 juin 2010, à 01:13 -0400, Sergey Panov a écrit :
> On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 20:45 -0700, Sandy Armstrong wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Sergey Panov <sipan sipan org> wrote:
> > > I sense a suspicion from the outsiders (not RedHat employees) that
> > > project is not just manned by the RedHat employees, but controlled by
> > > the company
> >
> > It's controlled by the people doing the work, like any other project.
> >
> > What does it mean to be "controlled by the company"?  It sounds a bit
> > far-fetched.
>
> I was not speaking for myself, I still hope RedHat is an unusual
> company. But I can see how people can project their own experiences in
> the corporate environment on inner workings of RedHat. In other
> companies, the lead engineers are interacting with FOSS communities
> directly, but the "dark cardinals"(aka managers) control development
> behind the scene.

Let me try to address the suspicion you're highlighting here, with a few
examples we could have if we follow the same kind of rationale:

 - empathy is controlled by Collabora
 - gnome-panel is controlled by Novell
 - gobject-introspection is controlled by Litl. Or Red Hat now. Or both.
 - orca is/was controlled by Sun/Oracle.
 - etc.

It's just the way maintainership works. We can always assume there are
dark cardinals or whatever. Or we can see who are the people working on
those projects and see if we trust them based on what they achieved in
our community. I do trust Guillaume, Xavier, Johan, Colin, Willie and
many other people from various companies. (I kind of trust myself too
;-))

Now, why wouldn't we trust Owen and Jon for GNOME Shell?

And don't get me wrong -- I happen to disagree with some stuff they're
doing from time to time. But it doesn't mean I should stop trusting
them.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.