Re: Some notes on GNOME Shell

Le jeudi 03 juin 2010, à 11:54 +0200, Seif Lotfy a écrit :
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> > And don't get me wrong -- I happen to disagree with some stuff they're
> > doing from time to time. But it doesn't mean I should stop trusting
> > them.
>
> But would't you like to have the points you disagree with be discussed or
> reevaluated?

Sure. And this can happen if I have time.

> I think this is the issue the community is facing. There is a difference
> between "We are going to do it like that because we think its right, and
> that is how it is gonna be" and "We are doing it like that because we think
> it is right, but we are open for discussion"
> Right now the Shell developers are somewhere between both stand points. I
> know some developers who were able to cooperate with them. But I think
> more transparency around discussions and evaluations are missing.

Really, how is it different from what's happening in any other module? I
can certainly blame Guillaume and Xavier for not being able to have
metacontacts in empathy today while it's something I asked two years
ago; but they've chosen to do it the way they believe is right, which
happens to take more time. What was the way for me to change this? It's
easy: I could have get more involved and send a patch.

That's the same for GNOME Shell. (Except that for the design part, you
don't send a patch, you participate in a discussion and the discussion
should be well argued.)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.