Re: Thanks, and a Brief Survey

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Stormy Peters <stormy peters gmail com> wrote:

You all represent GNOME when you are out in the world.

Let me clarify a bit more.

I think that we all represent the groups we are a part of all the time, especially when we are the only one from that group present.

For example, if I'm attending the Grace Hopper conference, a conference with 95% women attendees, and I start crying, people are likely to attribute my tears to relationship issues, work issues, personal issues, etc.

If I'm attending GUADEC, a conference with less than 5% women attendees and I start crying, many people are likely to contribute it to me being a woman.

The same with being an American. If I'm at a US conference with mostly US attendees, and I'm rude to someone, they'll likely just think I'm rude. Or perhaps, if it's not a software conference, they'll think all software people are rude. Or if I'm one of two women, they'll think women are rude.

Do that same rude thing at a European conference, and they are likely to think Americans are rude.

So I think we all represent GNOME all of the time unless you specifically state otherwise. That's probably not a big deal in a GNOME dominated group like this list or GUADEC (it's like being a woman at Grace Hopper), but when you are at a conference or meeting where most people are not part of GNOME and you've clearly stated that you are, then I think it highly likely your views, behavior and attitude will reflect on GNOME.

Luckily, I think we have a great community and are well represented.

Stormy

P.S. And don't forget!

[1] And if you'd like to formally represent GNOME at a conference, please, please do. See http://live.gnome.org/GnomeEvents/Speakers for opportunities.