Re: GNOME: lack of strategic roadmap

    How about a healthy dose of ambition and aim for becoming the best
    platform of choice, regardless of the freeness?

If you mean that we would like GNOME to be better than the other
desktops in practical terms, of course we would like that.
That is an answer to the question, "Where would we like GNOME
to arrive?"

I'm responding to a different question: "What world problem will GNOME
have solved?"  If GNOME becomes clearly practically superior to other
desktops, or even if it doesn't, winning freedom on the desktop is an
achievement that GNOME can claim.