Re: GNOME: lack of strategic roadmap

How about a healthy dose of ambition and aim for becoming the best
platform of choice, regardless of the freeness?

All desktops are aiming for that, free or not. And honestly, most desktops are "good enough".

We're already the most free and open platform out there.

But we seem embarrassed to promote that fact heavily.

Let's focus on how we can become the best platform overall...

I don't think "best" matters that much to "average users". I mean, people use Windows despite its headline-worthy flaws.

Personally, my company moved to Gnome/Gnu/Linux because:

1) We found that our MS Exchange Server stored data in bizarre proprietary hard-to-backup format which requires specialized proprietary backups programs, and as a result, we lost a lot of email in a crash. This is a "freedom of data" issue. It is much easier to backup simple text files in a dovecot maildir!

2) We wanted to print photos with their filenames at the bottom of the page. Impossible with the crummy Windows software. Easy, if we patched gThumb! This was a "freedom to change" issue.

Obviously I want Gnome to be the "best" too. However, I think freedom is a key Gnome attribute that is easy to explain, easy to promote, and truly different and better than the competing offerings.

- Mike