Re: How about creating addons.gnome.org

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Johannes Schmid <jhs jsschmid de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Also, there should be a clear distinction whether an addon is Gnome
>> approved (meaning it is reviewed, translated, probably hosted in the
>> gnome git somewhere) or the work of a freelance dev. Distributions are
>> welcome to keep  packaging  any of the addons, as they do now, but
>> normally the maintainer's cost of distributing 100 or more addons
>> would be too high (in my opinion). In this sense, I would love to have
>> an easy way of installing add-ons that does not require you to copy
>> files to some hidden directories. We should have a command line
>> gnome-addon install add-on-name, which will download and install the
>> add-on. That would be really neat in my opinion.
>
> While I would rather vote for a more complete "GNOME Appstore" solution
> in the far future (possibly based on OpenSuSE build service), some
> points to note:
>
> * This will only work for scripted plugins Python, Javascript, Ruby
> * All compiled languages will suffer depedency problems
> * It would mean that we install executable things into the user's home
> directory. Some admins might not like this though of course mozilla does
> the same. Security is an important point here.

Yes, security is important, I agree with you, I am thinking on
implementing  the easy installation only for non-compiled add-ons (you
can still host the C plugins in the addons site).

I want to start more or less simple, so I can deploy something usable
(hopefully) by Gnome 3.0 time. Even without the easy installation
thing,
having just a fork of the addons.mozilla.org  would be neat.