Re: Code of Conduct and Foundation membership

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 7:20 AM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
It seems like the issue isn't making people promise to be nice, it's
what happens when they aren't. And once again the board has taken the
easy way out, by not being judgemental about reported behaviour.

In this case, I'd like to see the board clearly come out & say "we don't
have a problem with this", or "we have a problem with this" (while
saying what "this" is), instead of having a wishy-washy solution. Mostly
I agree with Emmanuele & Jason on this.

Well let's put a proposal on the table and get this behind us, finally. I propose this amendment to the GNOME Code of Conduct:

Enforcement

Violations of the Code of Conduct on or in GNOME Foundation sites, mailing lists or other forums of official GNOME business (such as conferences) are referred to the GNOME Foundation Membership Committee which is empowered by The Foundation to act quickly and judiciously. The Membership Committee, upon review of a complaint, is empowered to ask that action be taken by the maintainer of the forum(s) in which the violation occurred in the following order, escalating only upon repeated violations within a short period of time:

1. A warning from the Membership Committee or its representative
2. 1-day suspension of communication privileges in that forum of GNOME communication
3. 1-week suspension of all communication privileges in all GNOME communication forums
4. Permanent suspension of all communication privileges in all GNOME communication forums.

The maintainers of any GNOME forum are strongly encouraged to adhere to the Membership Committee's recommendations but not required to do so. It is ultimately up to the forum maintainer to implement the suspensions; this process is intended to bring a objectivity and transparency to any GCoC punitive recommendation.