Meeting Minutes Published - November 12, 2009

The meeting minutes for the November 12th board meeting is now public.
Refer here:

Other past board meetings are archived here:

-- text of the latest minutes follows --

Minutes for Meeting of November 12th, 2009

Next Meeting

November 25, 2009


    * Behdad Esfahbod
    * Brian Cameron
    * Germán Póo-Caamaño
    * Lucas Rocha
    * Rosanna Yuen
    * Stormy Peters
    * Vincent Untz


    * Diego Escalante
    * Srinivasa Ragavan


    * None


Recurring Items

    * Review past action items.
    * Did each person with action items send their status reports to the
      board list before the meeting?
    * Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published
      to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
    * Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
    * System administrator hiring - waiting for funding.
    * Update website.

Old items

    * None

New items

    * Discussion about GUADEC 2010 bids. Plan to make an announcement
    * GNOME.Asia
          o GNOME.Asia needs $3,089.00 in addition to the funding they
            have raised to hold the event and maintain their travel
            budget. The board agreed to fund the $3,089 plus to also
            fund the stickers ($79) and the Press conference ($562) =
            $3,730 that were considered optional in their budget
          o Funding will come from $2,500 remaining in the budget for
            events and the rest will come from the surplus from the
            Boston Summit and other recent events.
          o Approved sending the money (the GNOME Foundation
            contribution and the money the the GNOME Foundation has
            collected for them so far) as soon as we have the transfer
    * GNOME.Asia domain registrar change. Stormy will check director's
      email to verify the transfer from ? to
    * Copyright assignment with Intel for clutter.
          o Vincent is working with Intel to determine what their
            lawyers are agreeable to doing.
    * is interested in participating with the GNOME community
      in a more formal way. The board agreed the advisory board is
      probably not the best forum for them to participate. Stormy agreed
      to work with Gil Forcada and the GNOME marketing list to help
      define how organizations like should participate.
    * Funding opportunity with NLnet: GNOME Marketing list was provided
      with information about the opportunity. Nobody has stepped up,
    * Code of Conduct improvements. Agreed Lucas' draft is okay. Will
      handle the issue of enhancing the Code of Conduct to reflect
      speakers separately.
    * Advisory Board duties. Stormy sent a draft to the advisory board
      list and got no feedback. The board agreed it looks good. Vincent
      agreed to get this information on the GNOME website and to send an
      email to the foundation-list about it.
    * The board agreed that the GNOME Foundation should hold an upcoming
      meeting more publicly via IRC. Diego will lead this.
    * Researching the idea of the GNOME Foundation hosting free software
      services. Ongoing. Need to contact the involved parties.
    * Richard Stallman is planning to send out an email soon to the
      foundation-list and gnome-women-list regarding his GCDS keynote.
    * Need to find a new time for the meeting since the current time is
      not good for Srinivasa Ragavan. Stormy will set up a new Doodle
      meeting. Everyone: enter your times in Doodle, be flexible!
    * The next meeting is scheduled for Thanksgiving in the U.S. Let's
      have the next meeting on Wednesday the 25th.

Action Items

Completed Actions

    * Brian - Touch base with the GNOME Marketing list to discuss other
      opportunities for seeking NLnet grants.
    * Brian - Follow up with Richard Stallman about his statement about
    * Germán - will get in contact with GUADEC organizers to clarify
      their bid.

Old Actions

    * Behdad - Tasked with scrubbing the GnuCash file so it can be made
      public. Behdad sent a scrubbed GnuCash file to Rosanna to check,
      but still pending.
    * Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee
      Handbook". Still pending.
    * Brian - Look into organizing a hackfest on "how to make it easier
      for more people to do some usability magic". Discussions on
      usability list just starting, and making progress with seeking
      NLnet grant. Ongoing.
    * Germán - Put together a proposal for how to address board members
      who become inactive. Still pending.
    * Germán - Take over John Palmieri's previous task to propose new
      obligations that people who receive travel subsidies should be
      asked to do in return.
    * Lucas - Work with Andreas for the donation ruler. Try to put $15k
      in the ruler in "yellow" ($10k for Canonical, $5k for Google) to
      indicate that these funds are matching. Waiting for Paul to get
      the general marketing message behind the ruler before publishing
      it. Paul was pinged on September 17th about it.
    * Lucas - Work to ensure that Foundation members sign the GNOME Code
      of Conduct, and make it a requirement that new Foundation members
      need to sign this. Lucas completed a draft currently under review.
    * Lucas & Alberto - Set up a Euro bank account. Still in progress.
    * Paul - Will provide an overview of hiring a sysadmin and the
      benefits that has for the overall GNOME community.
    * Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if
      necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar,
      but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website
    * Rosanna - to send check to pay 401K setup fees.
    * Srini - Ping John Palmieri for status about importing Paypal data
      into GnuCash. John Palmieri was pinged, but no response yet.
    * Srini - Send out the GUADEC call-for-hosts, and the next meeting
      with be an IRC meeting to discuss Done. Srini has the meeting
      logs, but not yet published in the wiki. Yet to format and upload
      and announce the meeting logs. Leaving this as an open item until
      the logs are available.
    * Stormy - Should the GNOME Foundation buy a blanket LWN membership.
      Will bring it up with Jonathan Corbet next week.
    * Stormy - To propose a case study on how the improvements we made
      with bugzilla made a difference as input for the marketing
      materials for why the Foundation needs to hire a system
      administrator. Working with Max.
    * Stormy - Create a more public process for suggesting and deciding
      upon topics for future advisory board meetings. Conversations in
    * Vincent - Will look into who the GNOME Foundation should send to
      the Mobile User Experience conference, perhaps Paul Cooper.
      Vincent mailed Paul and is waiting for an answer.
    * Vincent - Touch base with Matthew Garrett and with the GNOME
      community to determine how the GNOME Code of Conduct needs to be
      enhanced to reflect speakers.
    * Vincent - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are
      expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
    * Vincent & Lucas - Determine how to announce the endorsement of
      Franklin Street Statement on Freedom and Network Services. This is
      blocking on a release team action that Lucas has ("push for a "web
      services" set of libraries")

New Action Items

    * Diego - will work to organize an IRC Foundation meeting.
    * Stormy - will check director's email to verify the transfer of
      GNOME.Asia from ? to (Done as of publishing
    * Stormy - will work with Gil Forcada from and
      gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like to participate in the GNOME community.
    * Stormy - set up a new Doodle meeting survey to determine the best
      time for future meetings. (Done as of publishing time.)
    * Vincent - follow up with Intel to determine what to do about
      copyright assignment for clutter.
    * Vincent - Publish the new Advisory Board duties on the web and to
      send an email to the foundation-list to announce it.
    * Everyone - provide available meeting times in Doodle after Stormy
      provides the survey. Be flexible!

Discussed on board-list

    * Ongoing discussion regarding the bids for 2010 GUADEC.
    * Review of the GNOME.Asia budget. The organizers requested
      additional funding from the GNOME Foundation to make the event as
      successful as possible.
    * Approved sending Stormy Peters to the GNOME.Asia summit to give a
    * Discussion about GNOME.Asia domain being transferred to
    * Discussion to determine the status of the possible Largo hackfest.
    * Approved a request in order to sponsor the airfare ($970 or ~€650)
      for Tobias Müller, a GNOME Foundation member, to attend as speaker
      to at Bangalore, India.
    * Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier recommends that Larry Cafiero hold the
      U.S. GNOME Event Box. According to Joe, Larry is very active in
      promoting Linux, and is based on the West Coast so he can take the
      box to events that he is already attending.
    * Discussion about formalizing the advisory board duties. Stormy
      wrote a draft which was reviewed before sending it to the advisory
      board list.
    * Discussion about the GNOME Foundation hosting web services, such
      as Gobby and Tomboy/Snowy.
    * Intel is interested in providing the clutter code to the GNOME.
      Currently they require all contributors to sign a copyright
      waiver, which is something that the GNOME Foundation does not
      normally require. Having discussion with Intel about what should
      be done.
    * Discussion with Richard Stallman about the wording of his
      statement about his keynote at GCDS.
    * The normal board meeting time does not work well anymore for
      Srinivasa Ragavan. Need to coordinate a new meeting time.

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]