Re: What do you think of the foundation?

Hi Behdad,

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
Note: this is a personal response. I may disclose information only available to the board, but in no way any line in this message represents board's opinion.

For the record, I don't expect the board to take a position on this - I do hope that prominent foundation members, including current & future board members, will take the opportunity to get beyond the details and talk about their vision for the foundation.

I agree that an check for what foundation is and what we want it to be is long overdue. I don't think this is the best timing though. Do you expect the candidates to speak up and reply? Shut up? How does this relate to the upcoming election?!

Good question.

It is my hope that this election campaign we can get beyond the type of election campaign that we have had, where every candidate says that they want to "delegate more", "improve transparency", "make the foundation relevant to foundation members" - and while previous boards have all succeeded in greater or lesser measure in those goals, it has felt like we're not pulling in the same direction, in brief, that there is no vision for the foundation at the moment.

So, I've detailed my vision, with two major changes:
- include foundation members in the daily running of the foundation by having the majority of board business happen in the open on foundation-list, including having the working version of the accounts in a publicly accessible place, posting draft minutes straight after meetings, rather than going through the 2/3 day review period we've had in the past, posting agendas for meetings to foundation-list, and using foundation-list as the main board mailing list, only going to board-list for board-confidential issues. - the foundation, through the board, should be empowered and committed to maintaining a friendly and productive working environment

I would like to hear candidate's thoughts on this, and I will be voting for those that agree with me. Since you disagree with me on the second point, I probzbly won't be voting for you, but you will doubtless get the votes of many others who disagree with me.

We'll be voting for candidates ased on their ideas and their vision of the foundation, rather than picking the most prominent & popular board members! It'll be like a real election!

I'll reply to the rest of your mail separately.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary