Re: What do you think of the foundation?

So my "freedom of speech" comment was not well written.

I do think anyone has the right to say what they want, but if they want to be heard they have to think about their tone. (I was trying to explain why someone might want to moderate their tone even if they think it's ok.)  I don't think everyone has the right to be published in any forum.

I think the GNOME community can take away the right to publish on GNOME forums. So you can say anything you want on your blog but if it doesn't meet the GNOME standards of conduct, it can be removed from Planet GNOME. This is not anti-diversity - this is a way of encouraging a friendly, respectful place to discuss ideas and differences of opinion.

It's up to the GNOME community to enforce the GNOME standards of conduct. I think the issue being discussed is whether there is an issue and who should enforce it.

Stormy

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Alan Cox <alan lxorguk ukuu org uk> wrote:
On Sat, 30 May 2009 10:27:00 -0400
Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:

> On 05/30/2009 08:10 AM, Stormy Peters wrote:
>
> > (And we have lost members of our community because we haven't enforced
> > that Code of Conduct.)
>
> How accurate is that statement?

I know of at least one example therefore it is accurate.

Anyway it's a mistake IMHO to mix up "freedom of speech" (which even the
US only means 'political speech' not rights to scream hatred) and what
gets to all intents and purposes published and branded by the foundation.

Any right I may have to have a loud rant about someone stops well short
of a right to have it appear in the New York Times. Ditto
planet.gnome.org, which is effectively a foundation site and should have
a policy that makes Gnome actually look responsible and grown up.

What happens on some other site ("ranters.pants-off.org" seems free) is
another matter, but if its Gnome branded it ought to be handled
responsibly.