Re: What do you think of the foundation?

2009/5/29 Philip Van Hoof <pvanhoof gnome org>:
> On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 10:45 -0600, Stormy Peters wrote:
>
>> So I'm hearing Dave say we need more policing and Philip saying
>> everything is ok. What do others think?
>
> That's basically indeed what I'm saying:
>
> Let's just do normal. There's nothing fundamentally going wrong. Why are
> we trying to fix a bug that isn't a bug?
>
>> Does the community think everything is ok? Or if not, do they want to
>> self police or delegate taking action to the board? (Or both.)
>>
>> Philip, I agree that your blog is yours, but supposedly you write blog
>> posts, emails, IRC chats to tell people something.
>
> About the blogs and the planet I propose to adopt what planet.maemo
> does: each and every blog post is elected for inclusion on the planet.
>
> But indeed, don't ask people to change their blogs.
>
>> So if you are offending them and responding angrily, are you
>> communicating what you want to be saying to them? For example, if you
>> think people are too politically correct, the way to persuade them of
>> that is probably not to swear at them.
>
> People who disagree sometimes become passionate. There's nothing
> fundamentally wrong with passionately defending one's opinion.
>
> Sure I agree that you should be careful if you want to persuade, too.
>
> The debate Dave and I have is whether there's a necessity of a higher
> authority that decides on what we can and can't say. That's quite
> excessive in my opinion. And potentially dangerous for our fragile
> community.

There's a fundamental issue here, this is not about what individuals
in the community can or can't say, is about when using GNOME's
communication channels to say whatever people's feel like can be
harming for the community and upset them to a point where some may
even stop contributing (or stopping them from starting).

People gets loads of audience on their blogs when they are aggregated
on P.G.O., that gives you a lot of power. And a great power comes with
great responsibility.

--
Un saludo,
Alberto Ruiz