Re: What do you think of the foundation?

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 13:43 +0000, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> I have a problem here. I am not sure I have a clear idea of what "type
> of
> interaction" is causing these issues.

I don't know what triggered the discussion this time either, so this
might be totally irrelevant:

We do have a real problem with being offensive to women on irc. People
don't respond to it because most people there don't care much about it.
And the men there simply don't expect any women to be within hearing
distance. Of course this is self-perpetuating.

On the other hand, I don't think there's any conceivable way to manage
behaviour in irc. It's a wild corner of the Internet. The people there
are not even particularly representative of GNOME. I think the best we
can do with irc is warn people whenever we suggest its use.

Smaller, well-defined forums such as mailing lists and bugzilla are much
easier to manage.

--
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com