Re: GNOME DVCS Survey Results

On sön, 2009-01-04 at 23:58 +0200, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:47 PM, Luca Ferretti <elle uca libero it> wrote:
> > Il giorno dom, 04/01/2009 alle 16.11 -0500, Matthias Clasen ha scritto:
> >
> >> It seems pretty clear to me that any 'homegrown' system like this is
> >> not suitable as a longterm, stable solution for a project the size of
> >> gnome.
> >
> > BTW, once switched to DVCS, how much disk space I should have in order
> > to perform a full GNOME Desktop build with jhbuild? A WebKit build from
> > git needs ~740MB :-/
>
>   How much does it consume if it's a svn checkout? I heard (don't know
> if it's true or not) git repo usually takes less diskspace then svn
> checkout. This page seems to support this claim:

A complete git repo is usually smaller than a complete SVN one
(according to "common knowlege" - as in, I didn't run any benchmarks),
but one commonly only checks out the /trunk subdirectory in subversion,
while git usually checks out the whole project history, including all
branches - it could be a substantial amount of data you don't check out
with SVN.