Re: foundation-list Digest, Vol 68, Issue 13

On 12/12/09 1:49 PM, "Brian Cameron" <Brian Cameron Sun COM> wrote:

> However, since this problem seems to really happen only on rare
> occasion, and since it does not seem that any non-free organizations
> are really trying to use GNOME Planet to do any real advertising,
> then perhaps a disclaimer link to highlight the GNOME community's stance
> on the issue, and to provide educational links to people who want to
> learn more about the importance of free software, would be a reasonable
> improvement.

I have an alternate suggestion: since there seems to be general agreement
that there's not actually any sort of a real-world problem here, why don't
we just drop the entire discussion, do nothing at all, and simply leave the
Planet alone?

Sending out annual "Are you still interested in being syndicated?" notes
seems reasonable; some may not want to be. Beyond that, if any instances of
"promotion of non-free software" should actually occur, they can be dealt
with when they do, on a case-by-case basis.

This approach has the advantage of requiring no effort whatsoever, which
seems commensurate with grappling with an issue which doesn't actually
exist.

"I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means 'No'."~Geoffrey Rush
as "Barbossa" in _Pirates of the Caribbean_