Re: Free Desktop Communities come together at the Gran Canaria Desktop Summit

[taking foundation-announce out of the cc: fields]

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Srinivasa Ragavan<sragavan gnome org> wrote:

[snippet]

>  The main, and most important, reason for not wanting to co-locate
> next year is because the GNOME  community needs to focus on GNOME 3.0,
> and next year's GUADEC will be the most sensible place to plan and do
> whatever finishing work needs to be done. While we support doing
> co-located conferences in the future, next year simply doesn't make
> the most sense to do this again.  We need to make sure our focus is on
> making GNOME 3.0 a finished product and co-locating would likely be a
> distraction to this goal.
>
> There were few more points like preserving GUADEC and Academy as one
> of main conferences for GNOME and KDE respectively. We co located this
> year and if we do next year also, the message could be a bit
> different.
>
> It was a hard decision because, there is real interest in making KDE
> and GNOME work well together. While this is also an important goal,
> but we don't need to co-locate every year for this. We might have
> hackfests together with KDE/GNOME in the future.

Would it be then appropriate to conclude that in-spite of the really
positive blogs|reports from the GCDS, the underlying feeling is not
conducive towards co-location ?

Sent from Raleigh, NC, United States