Re: GNOME Job Posting Board

Calum Benson wrote:

> On 16 Oct 2008, at 17:18, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>
>> Calum Benson wrote:
>>> Any reason you didn't just set up a gnome-jobs mailing list?
>>
>> 1) Postings on a wiki can be removed, keeping a list of current
>> openings at
>> any time,
>
> Ok, I'll concede that advantage, provided people remember to keep it up
> to date :)  One of the number one problems with wikis is content rot,
> though... so it would probably be good to require an expiry date to most
> job postings anyway (which can be reset as required), in which case the
> advantage over a mailing list is somewhat reduced.

What I didn't write up in the page but assumed is implied is that anyone can
remove the old postings if they know it's not available anymore (perhaps
because they contacted and was told so).

>> 2) Keep it simple.  This took me ten minutes to set up.  A mailing
>> list would
>> have taken at least a few days,
>
> Why the rush?  We've had nothing for years, what's a few days if it
> means a better solution? :)

Prioritize.  We lived without it for ten years, so I come to believe it's not
as high priority as, say, me working on GUADEC, or our sysadmins working on
upgrading Bugzilla.  Yes, small things add up.

I also *do* believe that l.g.o is a better medium.  For one reason our mailing
list archives are so archaic one has to use an external archive like gmane.

>> 3) Subscribing and unsubscribing to the wiki is much easier and more
>> intuitive,
>
> Only if you already have a wiki account, otherwise it's much the same,
> really.  Plus you'll then get subscription messages for every change to
> the wiki page, in not-very-user-friendly diff format, with no
> particularly useful subject heading.  And at least half of those emails
> won't even correspond to the actual posting of a new job, as presumably
> you'll be notified when people delete jobs, fix formatting/typos etc. as
> well...?

I don't know who you have in mind, but in my idea, the audience of those job
postings not only have a l.g.o account already, they also have a personal page
there.  Really, the page is targeted at l.g.o users.

I also have to agree with Björn: nothing special about me setting this up.
Anyone is welcome to set up a better system.

Cheers,

behdad