Hiring an executive director: thoughts to keep in mind

I was asked awhile back what safe guards I thought should be in place when an open source nonprofit hires an executive director. Here are some of my thoughts. They are a bit rough but hopefully they are interesting to folks.

I think the main concerns happen when:
So here are some of the things I think the nonprofit board can do:
Others? (BTW, if the new ED wasn't familiar with how open source communities work, I think there would be even more.)

Best,

Stormy