Language on mailing list

Seems that every once in a while there are people venting in a mailing
list. This is ok. However, sometimes the language used is not what I
consider appropriate for any gnome mailing list.

It doesn't occur often. Up to know I've moderated one person (IIRC) and
have banned one person from Bugzilla due to the type of language used.

I consider taking action only as a last resort.

However, the last time I did I received some questions doing that:
a) if people feel generally ok with moderating participants if things
get out of hand
b) it is a break from what has been done up to now
c) *what* actually should be moderated.
d) Free Speech

My thoughts on above:
a) If it really gets out of hand, then they can continue such behaviour
via private mail. I don't see why GNOME should provide resources for
such behaviour
b) IMO needed change in behaviour, from various complaints I saw
c) Clear trolling/ personal attacks
d) Has no relation to the GNOME servers. You can say what you want, but
at one point, it will not be on a GNOME server.

Note that apart from a few cases, I really don't care about whatever
people are discussing. I care about how such a discussion is done. E.g.
heated is fine, but personal attacks, really suggestive sarcasm (e.g.
not literally making a personal attack, but just suggesting it).

Further: This is not about a strict enforcement of a Code of Conduct. I
don't care if people don't follow some rule. I do care about consistent
really bad or extreme behaviour.

My intention (not a personal thing, IMO the whole moderation team should
follow this):
If someone behaves badly, that person will be warned and possibly
moderated. Similarly when a thread seems to get out of hand (the 'cool
down' option in mailman).

I'm wondering if people do not agree on above intention. Further, I'd
like to make this more clear (although it is already mentioned on
http://mail.gnome.org/) Ideally I like the warning to be more stricter
than what happens in practice (e.g. 'On a GNOME mailing list you are
expected to follow the CoC'.. while in practice I don't mind people not
strictly following a 'list of rules').
--
Regards,
Olav