Re: Akademy+GUADEC *2009* Hosting Proposals

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:

> I'd want some reassurance about the accommodation. It can be insanely
> expensive in Helsinki. Is there some place where lots of people can stay
> cheaply.

From the materials available at
http://www.gnome.org/~behdad/akademy+guadec-2009-bids/finland/

7 Accommodation and food
     There are numerous accommodation options near the meeting area.
Accommodation in a
     nearby school will be arranged and this will be the lowest cost
option. The Tampere Student
     Housing Foundation (TOAS) provides rentable student housing. In
the summertime some of
     these houses work as a summer hostels. TOAS is able to provide us
around 200 beds in the
     student houses. There houses will also be in the walking
distance. The costs for these rooms
     will be low.
     Hotel Omenahotelli is one of the most cost-effective choices,
there is accommodation for
     400 people and it is within walking distance. The Sokos Hotel
Villa can be found nearest to
     University of Tampere. Many other hotels are within a short
walking distance. Please see the
     list of the hotels and the map of the area.

Hotel prices in Tampere are availabe in the materials, ranging from
Room from 71 €/night (1-4 people) to Single from 129 €/night if you
are that type of guy.  ;)

Finland is not a cheap country but is not the crazy e.g. Norwegian
thing. :) Tampere has average prices compared to the more expensive
Helsinki. Food, beer, restaurants and stuff are also cheaper in
Tampere for the same products.

--
Quim Gil /// http://flors.wordpress.com