Re: Call for hosts for GUADEC 2009

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 6:32 PM, Germán Poó-Caamaño <gpoo ubiobio cl> wrote:
>  >
>  > For what it is worth, we have discussed GUADLAC in previous years (I
>  > think as far back as 2004, maybe 2003?) but it typically foundered on
>  > travel costs, which were always unacceptably high for some large group
>  > (given the continent's large size). In the end regional conferences
>  > (like FISL or the various gnome.cl get-togethers) seemed more
>  > reasonable. That said, I agree it would be cool and if people can make
>  > it happen I'm sure we could get some support for it- I'd love to go.
>
>  The LatinAmerican 'Idol' Tour could helps to factorize the costs.
>
>  If Forum do Gnome (Brazil) is held joint to Latinoware, we will have two
>  conferences in two weeks.  As far as I remember, Diego Escalante was
>  looking for something similar in Perú.  Still is possible to organize
>  something between to make a more productive trip for invited speakers.

To be clear, the problem with GUADLAC wasn't the speakers, it was the
audience- getting the large brazilian group to chile, or the large
chilean group to brazil, or _________________ (fill in blank) made a
single GUADLAC a problem. I agree that a series of smaller conferences
back-to-back would at least make the speakers a better value, but it
wouldn't unite the continent in one place, which is a shame :/

Luis