Re: Call for hosts for GUADEC 2009

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Bruno Boaventura <brunobol gnome org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Jonh Wendell <jwendell gnome org> wrote:
>  >  Oh, It would be really, really, amazing!
>  >
>  >  GUADLAC, as Behdad suggested. A GNOME Conference in Americas, with the
>  >  same structure as GUADEC (aka sponsorship).
>  >
>  >  /me wonders about a huge GNOME crowd here in Brazil... :-)
>

>  I like this idea, Jonh!!!
>  Brazil seems to be one of the countries with most growth in number of
>  contributors in recent years (I'm one of them!!!). The same for Chile.

For what it is worth, we have discussed GUADLAC in previous years (I
think as far back as 2004, maybe 2003?) but it typically foundered on
travel costs, which were always unacceptably high for some large group
(given the continent's large size). In the end regional conferences
(like FISL or the various gnome.cl get-togethers) seemed more
reasonable. That said, I agree it would be cool and if people can make
it happen I'm sure we could get some support for it- I'd love to go.

Luis