Re: Call for hackfest ideas

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 14:48 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> One of the things the Board wants to see happen this year is hackfests,
> and the fact that the GTK+ one was a success is a good sign that we
> should do this :-) But to make this happen, we need help from the
> community to come up with ideas of hackfests and we also need help from
> volunteers to lead this effort.

Two that come to me off the top of my head:

      * Telepathy Integration.  It would be cool to bring a bunch of
        projects together with the core Telepathy hackers and put
        messaging into their applications.  Everything from the obvious
        like Evolution to something a little more whimsical like GNOME
        Games.
      * PackageKit Integration.  Richard posted on his blog[1] that he'd
        help anyone, but I think this would also be a good use of a
        hackfest (Richard's house perhaps ;) )  Get Richard there, and
        people who want to put this into their applications, and get it
        done.  I love the idea of programs having a "get more plugins"
        button that works with the distribution's packaging system.

While I see people's comments that hackfests should be about planning I
also think that integration is an important goal.  For me personally,
having an expert across the table who I can yell too when I'm trying to
use their library makes that integration faster and more successful.  (a
little peer pressure of everyone else getting it working helps too :)

		--Ted

[1] http://hughsient.livejournal.com/55964.html