Re: Git vs SVN (was: Can we improve things?)

On 9/8/07, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
> <quote who="Sanford Armstrong">
>
> > My personal opinion is that in the short term, using a D-SCM actually
> > raises the barrier for entry for *new* developers.
>
> Why so? Being able to branch and start working -- including making newbie
> mistakes -- completely safely in revision control, and being able to expose
> that to the broader project is an *awesome* way to lower the barrier to
> entry for new developers. You can be doing significantly more useful (and
> just plain "more") work, faster.

I simply meant that less people are familiar with D-SCM tools and that
they are somewhat harder for a newbie to learn than C-SCM tools.
There is also the laziness factor, as Alex mentioned recently [1].
People who just figured out SVN may be discouraged if they have to
learn a D-SCM to get started in GNOME development.  I'm not disputing
that a new developer can do a lot more with D-SCM when they're first
starting off.  But right now that's a somewhat steeper learning curve.

Cheers,
Sandy

[1] http://www.beatniksoftware.com/blog/?p=74