Distributed [Was: Git vs SVN]

<quote who="Kevin Kubasik">

> That's where I wanted to really lead this discussion, _do we want to go
> distributed_.

I think the answer to that is extraordinarily simple: Yes, we desire to use
the best tools for FLOSS development, and there is already sufficient proof
and practical experience to show that distributed revision control tools are
a great step forward for the entire community.

The retrograde discussion about, "oh we need *some* kind of centralisation"
is not at all relevant to choosing distributed revision control tools: We
can impose a social (and mildly technical) requirement for centralisation
where it is important (ie. "blessed" mainline, release trees, translations,
etc).

Today, the question is truly about What, When and How -- not Why.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia        http://lca2008.linux.org.au/

        "It's the most fun I've had without the use of a water-based
           lubricant." - Stephen Fry on directing his first film