Re: OOXML [was Re: GNOME Foundation Board Meeting Minutes :: 7/6/07]

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 10:19:07AM +0100, BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
> On 10/31/07, Jody Goldberg <jody gnome org> wrote:
> > Nonsense.  When GNOME joined ECMA I made an open request for other
> > members to join the TCs of interest.  You could easily have
> > contacted me and had direct access to the MS reps.  With the
> > capability to open issues and suggestions on how to clarify the
> > spec.

> > This was an offer not a threat.  I'd be charitable characterising my
> > thoughts as a minority opinion in GNOME, and the FLOSS community.
>
> A representative should be representative of the people he or she is
> representing. Can you be representative if your personal opinion is
> diametrically opposite to the one you are representing? I mean, you
> are doing a really great technical job improving OOXML while most in
> the community really want the standardization process to fail.

That is indeed the question at hand.  For the time being I'm falling
back on the ever popular 'silent majority' option.  Assuming that if
people knew more about the details of the formats that they would
likely agree with me.

At least that is the rationalization I'm sticking too,

> Are you also Novell's representative on TC 45 if I may ask?
I no longer work have any material relationship with Novell beyond
the friends made in my time there.  My opinions are stictly my own,
and do not represent Novell or Merrill Lynch.

> I think that The GNOME participating in OOXML lends it a credibility
> it does not deserve. Joining ECMA TC45 would be like joining of the
> political party you dislike the most to improve their politics.

It's like starting a competing political party and going to the same
law library.