Re: OOXML [was Re: GNOME Foundation Board Meeting Minutes :: 7/6/07]

Hi,

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> A related issue: I think we've pretty much shown that the seven person Board
> thing is a bit of a failure. Even if you're not elected or didn't run, we
> could appoint you to the Board for this function. :-) We ought to consider
> adding a couple of people to the Board.

What we've shown is not having a full-time director has been a mistake,
and I would urge the next board to invest financially in the hiring of
someone. The way we've been doing it (searching personal networks +
low-key announcements on blogs & mailing lists) isn't going to get it
done. A headhunter/agency who will place ads, screen candidates and get
us a qualified person in 3 to 6 months is a worthwhile investment.

I agree that expecting a 7 person volunteer board to take care of the
administration and day to day running of the foundation is asking too
much. I also believe that doing so of a 9 person volunteer board would
be asking too much.

Cheers,
Dave.

--