Re: Suggestion for coming elections

Hi,

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> I think it would be better to go with a widely used and familiar system,
> such as those proposed by James Henstridge and Ryan Lortie in previous
> years. In fact, I would be happy to appoint a group (including James and
> Ryan) to come up with a proposal for the Board.

As I recall, Ryan's proposal was a suggestion to improve the
verifiability & security of the vote by generating a unique voter token,
and nothing to do with the actual procedure of the election. I may be
misremembering.

The othr discussion I remember was a proposal of STV. Is that what
you're thinking of?

I'm certainly not against moving to STV, but that would need software,
and considerable retraining for members not familiar with the system.
The modification I'm proposing here is much less drastic, and addresses
a different problem to the process of running online anonymous voting. A
key advantage is that it doesn't need any new software.

I'm not against forming a group with some kind of mandate around
elections, but I assume that doesn't preclude members making suggestions
coming up to election time on ways to improve the process?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary