Re: Questions to the candidates

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 16:31 +0100, Anne Østergaard wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 09:48 -0500, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 23:52 +0100, Anne Østergaard wrote:
> > > Questions to the candidates:
> > >
> > > Will you apply for the position as new Executive Director for GNOME?
> >
> > No
> > >
> > > Will you apply for any paid position within GNOME while serving as board
> > > member?
> >
> > No
> >
> > > Will you attend at least 90% of the board calls?
> >
> > Yes
> >
> > > Can you accept competing official ISO standards?
> >
> > Yes, as long as they are open and free of intellectual property
> > concerns.  It is then up to the developers what direction they wish to
> > go in.  The board should not set technical direction but rather reflect
> > the will of the community while offering moral guidance as well as
> > advice from expert advisers.
>
> If they are fully interoperable there might not be a legal problem, but
> rather a political problem for the society about the costs.
>
> Well in that case we will also have an other situation to deal with, in
> the case where the dominant standard has near monopoly status. Then it
> becomes a question about monopoly versus free and open competition.
>
> We have all seen that even with a clear cut monopoly case in The
> European Court of Justice recently, it is not easy to have the loosing
> part change its conduct. Even if it eventually does so, it will take an
> awful long time and it will probably not be to 100%.

You are completely correct and I think the community can make the right
choices here that 6 elected people can not.  I do however think the
foundation is well within it's power to make statements based on
community experts recommendations but for the most part should let
things be settled in the community.

--
John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com>