Re: Questions to the candidates

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 09:48 -0500, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 23:52 +0100, Anne Østergaard wrote:
> > Questions to the candidates:
> >
> > Will you apply for the position as new Executive Director for GNOME?
>
> No
> >
> > Will you apply for any paid position within GNOME while serving as board
> > member?
>
> No
>
> > Will you attend at least 90% of the board calls?
>
> Yes
>
> > Can you accept competing official ISO standards?
>
> Yes, as long as they are open and free of intellectual property
> concerns.  It is then up to the developers what direction they wish to
> go in.  The board should not set technical direction but rather reflect
> the will of the community while offering moral guidance as well as
> advice from expert advisers.

If they are fully interoperable there might not be a legal problem, but
rather a political problem for the society about the costs.

Well in that case we will also have an other situation to deal with, in
the case where the dominant standard has near monopoly status. Then it
becomes a question about monopoly versus free and open competition.

We have all seen that even with a clear cut monopoly case in The
European Court of Justice recently, it is not easy to have the loosing
part change its conduct. Even if it eventually does so, it will take an
awful long time and it will probably not be to 100%.

Anne