Re: Questions to the candidates

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 23:52 +0100, Anne Østergaard wrote:
> Questions to the candidates:
>
> Will you apply for the position as new Executive Director for GNOME?

No

> Will you apply for any paid position within GNOME while serving as board
> member?

No

> Will you attend at least 90% of the board calls?

Yes

> Can you accept competing official ISO standards?

Yes, as long as they are open and free of intellectual property
concerns.  It is then up to the developers what direction they wish to
go in.  The board should not set technical direction but rather reflect
the will of the community while offering moral guidance as well as
advice from expert advisers.

> What is your position towards official standards that do not meet the
> gennerally accepted definition of a free and open standard. Such as
> Microsoft OOXML?

If it is not free and open then the board should not endorse it.
However that is not to say the board should not engage working groups
which are working on such non-free standards.  If it is in our interest
we should provide the resources to shift such standards in the free and
open direction.

--
John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com>